Day 1 May 16th (9am - 5:30pm)
Light Breakfast (8am - 9am) - Coffee and Continental Breakfast.
- Welcome & Introduction (9am - 9:30am) - An introduction to the workshop and the project. Speaker: Matt Burton
- Orienting Talks (9:30am - 10:00am) - Perspectives on Data Science in Libraries. Speakers: Chris Erdmann, Bonnie Tijerina, & Liz Lyon
- Big Group Discussion (10:00am - 11:30am) - Open Discussion & Affinity Exercise
Funder’s Perspective (11:30am - Noon) - Funding Opportunities for data science and libraries. Speakers: Josh Greenberg (Sloan) & Ashley Sands (IMLS)
Lunch (Noon - 1:00pm) - Catered Lunch
- Keynote Talk (1:00 - 2:30pm) - “Data Science & Critical Thinking” Speaker: Alistair Croll
- Break (2:30 - 3pm) - Afternoon Coffee Break
- Lightning talks (3pm - 4pm) - A series of short, 5 minute talks by participants doing Data Science in libraries.
- Harriet Green
- Eleanor Tutt
- Lauren Di Monti
- John Chodacki
- Dan Chudnov
- Small Breakout Sessions (4pm - 5pm) - Digging deeper into key issues.
Group Discussion (5pm-5:30pm) - Reporting back from the breakout sessions and a larger group discussion reflecting on the day’s conversation.
- Banquet Dinner (6:30pm - 9pm) - Twentieth Century Club
Day 2 May 17th (9am - Noon)
Light Breakfast (8am - 9am) - Coffee and Continental Breakfast
- Orienting Talk (9am - 9:30am) - From laboratories to libraries: mapping the skills and competences for data professionals, lessons from the EDISON project Speaker: Steve Brewer
- Case Studies Breakout (9:30am - 11:00am)
- Skills Gap: Training librarians to be data savvy.
- Skills Gap: How data savvy librarians can support their communities.
- Management Gap: How to manage data savvy librarians & data science teams.
- Management Gap: How to use data in library operations.
- Report Back & Closing Discussion (11:00 - noon) - Hear back from the breakout groups and close out the workshop. Speaker: Matt Burton